Share “Social Security Q&A”

Social Security Q&A

Social Security Q&A: Here's how to report a change in address
Published: March 3, 2013

Q: How do I report a change of address if I'm getting Supplemental Security Income?

A: A person receiving SSI must report any change of address by calling our toll-free number, (800) 772-1213 (TTY (800) 325-0778), or by visiting a local office within 10 days after the month the change occurs. You cannot complete a change of address online. You should report your new address to Social Security so you can continue to get mail from Social Security when necessary, even if you get your benefits electronically by direct deposit or Direct Express. Learn more about SSI at

Is Supplemental Security income taxable?

Q: Is Supplemental Security Income (SSI) taxable?

A: No. SSI payments are not subject to federal taxes, so you will not get an annual form SSA-1099. To learn more about SSI, read our publication on the subject, What You Need To Know When You Get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at If you receive Social Security benefits, they may be taxed. To learn more, see our page on the subject at

This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at (800) 772-1213.


  1. 1
    ONEOK Partners to invest up to $100 million to expand capacity in Permian Basin
  2. 2
    Report: Thunder signs Josh Huestis to 4-year deal
  3. 3
    Thunder TV analyst Nancy Lieberman expected to become Kings assistant coach
  4. 4
    Dodgers send Olivera to Braves in three-way trade
  5. 5
    MTV's 'Real World' sets casting call in Oklahoma City
+ show more


× Trending business Article