Project of the Week: Classic chest protects jewelry, lingerie
Don and Dave Runyan provide plans for carpentry projects.
Based on a classic design, this elegant jewelry and lingerie chest project is as practical as it is pretty. The long, shallow side compartments are designed to allow chains and necklaces to hang loosely and avoid tangling, while the top compartment keeps smaller pieces neat and protected. The chest's seven drawers — five small and two large — are perfect for storing delicate lingerie and hosiery.
A good project for woodworkers of any skill level, the chest requires mostly straight cuts and includes full-size patterns for the curves on the base. Although some edge-joining is required, construction is a simple matter of cutting out the pieces, sanding everything and assembling the project with nails and glue.
Required materials for the chest include 16 to 18 board feet of mahogany (as pictured; other species work just as well), a 4-by-8 sheet of matching veneer plywood, a sheet of hardboard, hinges, knobs, felt or flocking (for lining the drawers), jewelry hooks, nails and glue. As an option, a mirror can be attached to the underside of the top panel.
When closed, the project measures 39 inches tall by 19 inches wide by 12 inches deep.
The Jewelry & Lingerie Chest plan, No. 830, is $9.95 and includes step-by-step directions with photos, full-size patterns, construction diagrams, a shopping list and cutting schedule and a toll-free help line.
A package of jewelry and lingerie furniture, No. C144, is $24.95 and includes this plan plus plans for a lingerie chest and a jewelry box. Please include $4 per order (not per item) for postage and handling and allow about two weeks for delivery.
To order by mail, clip this article and send it with a check or money order to U-Bild Features, c/o The Oklahoman, 821B S Tremont St., Oceanside, CA 92054. To order by credit card, or to request a free catalog, call (800) 828-2453. Visit U-Bild on the web at u-bild.com.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister