Class B boys: Tyler Tune puts up 39 points, 21 rebounds to lead Arnett to state championship
The sting of last year’s loss in the Class B state title is now just a bad memory for Arnett.
The Wildcats rallied from a 21-point first half deficit to stun Coyle, 71-60, Saturday night at State Fair Arena and win their first state championship.
Photoview all 59 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Junior forward Tyler Tune, one of two starters returning from last year’s state runner-up team for Arnett, scored a game-high 39 points and pulled down 21 rebounds to lead the Wildcats to the improbable come-from-behind win..
Tune scored 32 points in the second half, including 22 after picking up his fourth foul with 3:08 left in the third quarter. Arnett outscored Coyle 48-23 in the second half after trailing by 14 points at halftime.
“He is something else,” said Trevor Bryant, the Wildcats’ other returning starter who chipped in 17 points. “He is absolutely unstoppable. People try to double and triple him and he still scores 30 a game.”
Coyle had no answer in the second half for Tune, who outplayed Coyle’s 6-6 senior center Tony Aska Jr.
Aska had 16 rebounds, but scored just four points in the game, 16 below his season average.
“I couldn’t get the ball in my hands as much as I wanted,” Aska said.
The 6-4 Tune played most of the second half with four fouls, and even took two charges in the last 3:08 of the game.
“I was really careful,” Tune said. “I wasn’t going to take that fifth foul.”
It appeared Coyle would blow Arnett out of the gym in the first half. Even with Aska on the bench saddled with two early fouls, the Bluejackets went on a 14-0 run and built a 21-point lead, 27-6.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister