So today I heard about one of the greatest ideas ever. I wrote it down on my calendar, so my plan is to go. Here is the press release from the main gal. How could this not be awesome?
Baconalia, Enid’s and Oklahoma’s first and only bacon festival yes, bacon festival is slated for Saturday, August 28, 2010 from noon to 4:00 p.m. in the parking lot adjacent to the Q Spot located at 221 W. Cherokee with musical entertainment to follow inside.
Who doesnt love bacon? And what better way to celebrate our love for the meaty treat than a festival? Baconalia will consist of a cook off, a bacon eating contest, pageants, a hog calling contest, some mud wrestling, a Hog Show, and all around bacon related silliness.
Cook off entrants will compete in five categories: appetizer, main course, side dish, dessert, and beverage. The fee to enter the cook off is $25 for the first entry, $15 for each additional entry, and $80 to enter all five categories. Baconalia organizers would like to encourage local restaurants and organizations to get in the competitive spirit and participate in the cook off to vie for the Baddest Baconator in Town award. Cash prizes will also be awarded contingent upon the number of entrants.
People wishing to judge the cook off must provide an essay (hopefully witty) as to why they should be granted such a privilege. There will be five judges chosen. Essays will be judged by the Bacon Festival Delegation.
Contestants for the bacon eating contest will be chosen on a first come, first entered basis. Announcements will be made during the festival to sign up and the first 20 people to sign up will get to participate in the eating competition. The competition will consist of eating a particular amount of bacon in a limited amount of time.
Hog calling is the ability to summon hogs; however, it is more often done just for fun. The hog callers will each get 45 seconds to do their call and they will be judged on clarity, creativity, and their ability to excite the audience.
The pageant titles will be Miss Piggy Princess for girls under 12, Miss Piggy for girls 13 to 17 and Ms. Piggy for women over 18. The criterion for the pageants is to do whatever the entrant feels embodies the spirit of the event and does not in any way refer to the size of the person vying for the title. Creativity will be judged heavily.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3613How to help tornado victims
- 3586Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3014Oklahoma City Thunder: In his absence, Russell Westbrook's value becomes obvious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients