News of the day – Dear Abby saves Oklahoma
Sports. Part of Lindsey Street around the Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium at OU will still be under construction when the season starts. Oh, great. Now game day traffic will be a hassle, unlike before.
Weather. Turns out, it’s still super hot. I hate you, August.
Advice. A Mustang mom gets her question answered by Dear Abby. Kudos to “Protective Mom” for caring about her daughter! Here’s the letter and Dear Abby’s response:
DEAR ABBY: My 8-year-old daughter “Gwen” has friends whose parents allow them to watch movies I prefer my daughter not see — specifically, scary movies. The parents of one of the girls have invited Gwen to a sleepover. I have been making excuses because I don’t want Gwen having nightmares. Would it be wrong or impolite to tell these parents that I don’t want her watching scary movies? I don’t want to appear to be dictating to them what they can or can’t allow their children to see in their own home. How should this be handled? — PROTECTIVE MOM, MUSTANG, OKLA.
DEAR PROTECTIVE MOM: Be upfront with the mother who will be hosting the sleepover. Tell her that you know Gwen would love to participate, but that you prefer that she not see scary films. If the mother can guarantee that none will be viewed that night, give your permission. Making your preference known is neither rude nor overbearing, so speak up.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7656Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7634Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6870UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients