Got any spare change, buddy? Nope.
Yesterday I wrote a column about panhandling. (The first half is an edited, more detailed account of a blog I wrote a while ago.) The issue came up at the Oklahoma City city council this week, and the council turned down a proposal that would eliminate panhandling in the medians. It’s hard to tell what gets people worked up. Sometimes I write things and don’t hear a peep. But this topic got a lot of people worked up. Here are a few emails I got:
You saw a lady buy cigarettes I witnessed one counting her cash then proceeded to a liquor store came out with a 1/2 pint and walked back to her spot on the median to continue her mission. Several I have noticed have on clean pressed clothes. Question: How does a one legged man on crutches get all the way out to Memorial & Penn? I have also seen these individuals get out of nice recent clean cars being driven and walk to their respective places. Later these same drivers come by take cash from the panhandlers and drive off. God Bless the firefighters at least they are asking for the right cause. I too would like to see the OKC Council address this issue again. I’m certain there is a way to settle both.
Your article concerning pan handlers is similar to my own experiences. It got to the point that I would always scan the area while waiting in traffic to see if there was a Lincoln or Cadillac parked nearby.
The law that was proposed to ban such median soliciting failed because it would also prevent the good guys like firemen etc.. from doing so. It will be interesting to see how this is resolved without treading on someones constitutional rights.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients