Rep. Pittman responds to lack of greeting for President Barack Obama’s visit to #Cushing
Rep. Anastasia Pittman had this to say about nobody from state leadership greeting President Obama:
“While the Governor and Lieutenant Governor may have been out of state, someone is always designated as the Acting Governor,” said Pittman (D-Oklahoma City). “It may have been Spring Break, but that does not mean taking a break from leadership duties.”
The chain of succession begins with the Lieutenant Governor, followed by the President Pro Tempore of the Oklahoma Senate, the Speaker of the Oklahoma House of Representatives and so on.
Pittman said that while she was disappointed that an acting governor was not there to greet the president, she was pleased to see Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett meet the president at the airport.
“Mayor Mick Cornett was warm and entirely appropriate in his greeting of President Obama,” Pittman said. “Oklahoma City benefits from federal monies and should always be friendly with whoever is in the White House. Regardless of how I have voted in an election, I have supported the institution of the presidency throughout my adult life,” Pittman said. “It is important for a civil society to give honor to whoever holds the office of U.S. president, and I believe the state’s failure to do so in this case reflects poorly on Oklahoma.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients