Fun Facts: Cindo de Mayo
In honor of the Mexican holiday, the U.S. Census has released some interesting stats related to Mexican culture.
31.8 million: The number of U.S. residents of Mexican origin, according to the 2010 Census. These residents accounted for about three-quarters (63 percent) of the 50.5 million Hispanics and increased 54 percent, growing from 20.6 million in 2000 to 31.8 million in 2010.
25.5: Median age of people in the United States of Mexican origin. The total Hispanic population had a median age of 27.2 and for the total population it was 37.2.
61: Percentage of the Mexican-origin population in the United States that resided in California(11.4 million) and Texas (8.0 million) in 2010.
40: Number of states in which the Mexican-origin population represented the largest Hispanic group, according to the 2010 Census. More than half these states were in the South and West regions of the country, two in the Northeast region, and in all 12 states in the Midwest region.
685,000: Number of U.S. military veterans of Mexican origin.
1.5 million: Number of people of Mexican descent 25 and older with a bachelor’s degree or higher. This included about 404,000 who had a graduate or professional degree.
34: Percentage of married-couple families, with own children younger than 18, among households with a householder of Mexican origin. For all households, the corresponding percentage was 20 percent.
4.2 people: Average size of families with a householder of Mexican origin in 2010. The average size of all families was 3.2 people.
67.8: Percentage 16 and older of Mexican origin in the labor force. The percentage was 64 percent for the population as a whole.
16.2: Percentage of civilians employed 16 years and older of Mexican origin who worked in management, business, science and arts occupations. In addition, 27 percent worked in service occupations; 21 percent in sales and office occupations; 18 percent in natural resources, construction and maintenance occupations; and 18 percent in production, transportation and material moving occupations.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36498Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32022Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 18998Oklahoma tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7837Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6469OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3675College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3601Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3336Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3267Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3222OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients