Gorillas, bananas beat me in 5k race
Running usually makes me feel good. I finish a run and I feel proud and accomplished. Except for Saturday.
I headed out of the house before sunrise Saturday to go to the Swazi 5k on the campus of Southern Nazarene University. My husband and I founded a charity to help children in South Africa, so I felt that it would be good to support other Oklahomans who are making a difference in Africa.
I was ridiculously early, so I spent time stretching on the lush green grass. I went through my normal stretching routine and still had time to kill. I looked around at the real runners and decided to copy what they were doing. They looked like they were in shape, so they had to be doing something right, probably.
I eased into a hurdler’s stretch and that’s when I discovered the grossest thing I have ever seen. I apparently have missed shaving the same spot on the outside of my knee for the past, oh, 10 years. It was horrifying. It was like I was man over those 3 square inches of my leg. I spun around and discovered the same thing on my other knee. What was happening?!? It was terrible. I felt like I was looking at the dark side of the moon. I thought of all the times I had worn skirts since the late ’90s that I had apparently been terrifying any passersby with the two freak shows that I will call my outer knee caps. Were my arms not reaching there? Was this like a blind spot you get while you’re driving? What are the physics of this error that I had obviously repeated too many times to count?
I don’t want to think about it. I promised myself then and there that I would never miss those spots again. Don’t worry. My outer knee caps are now clear.
Anyway, so I was stretching and I saw something even worse than hair outer knee caps: guys dressed as gorillas and bananas. I have no idea why they were dressed in costume for this run, but they were. There were two bananas, a guy dressed in a gorilla costume and another guy dressed in a hot pink gorilla costume.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6223Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5055Oklahoma City psychiatrist fined $25K for letting students write prescriptions
- 4821Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients