Fun Facts: Halloween!
Finally, you have a legitimate reason to dress in a weird costume. Here are some fun facts from the U.S. Census.
41 million: The estimated number of potential trick-or-treaters in 2011 — children age 5 to 14 — across the United States. Of course, many other children — older than 14 and younger than 5 — also go trick-or-treating.
132 million: Number of occupied housing units across the nation in 2011 — all potential stops for trick-or-treaters.
$113 million: Value of pumpkins harvested from the top six pumpkin-producing states, Illinois, California, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan in 2011.
1,155: Number of U.S. manufacturing establishments that produced chocolate and cocoa products in 2010, employing 35,074 people. Pennsylvania led the nation in the number of chocolate and cocoa manufacturing establishments, with 102, followed by California, with 100.
409: Number of U.S. establishments that manufactured nonchocolate confectionary products in 2010. These establishments employed 17,526 people. California led the nation in this category, with 49 establishments.
1,634: Number of costume rental and formal wear establishments across the nation in 2010.
Some Halloween-y places:
- Transylvania County, N.C. (population 32,820)
- Tombstone, Ariz. (population 1,396)
- Pumpkin Center, N.C. (population 2,222)
- Pumpkin Bend, Ark. (population 276)
- Cape Fear in New Hanover County, N.C. (population 18,388) and Cape Fear in Chatham County, N.C. (population 1,323).
- Skull Creek, Neb. (population 268)
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims
- 3705Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 3691Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3323Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients