Zoo inches closer to million-visitor goal
Just an update: zoo attendance through yesterday is 957,360. Only 42,640 people to go! (Enid, you’re up to bat here, folks. Just get every single person in town to go.) Here’s my story from June 17:
The Oklahoma City Zoo is offering free admission to children through the end of the month to boost attendance and reach its goal of 1 million visitors in a year.
The zoo had 933,100 visitors for this fiscal year as of Thursday, zoo spokeswoman Candice Rennels said. The zoo’s fiscal year ends June 30.
The Oklahoma City Zoo Trust voted in a special meeting Friday afternoon to offer free admission for age 11 and younger through June 30.
“A million thanks are due to our visitors and members for the incredible year we are having,” Executive Director Dwight Scott said in a statement. “Without their continuing support, this milestone in the making would be impossible.”
This year especially has brought in more visitors because of some big-ticket happenings.
The new elephant habitat opened March 11, and more than 100,000 people visited the Oklahoma City Zoo this year during spring break, setting a record. The zoo’s new museum, the Patricia and Byron J. Gambulos ZooZeum, opened April 9. One of the biggest draws is elephant calf Malee, who was born April 15.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients