How Russell Got His Groove Back
The game itself was spectacular. A couple of friends gave us their tickets because they were lucky enough to score some second-row seats, where there was a real possibility that James Harden might smash into them. We were in Loud City and cheering our faces off.
But super-amazing, awe-inspiring, scream-inducing, buzzer-beating win aside, something really special happened last night.
“Russell Russell! Russell!”
He sunk the shot and the place went berzerk. He pumped his fist and shouted back at the crowd. I nearly cried. (Is that weird?)
I’ve never been to an NBA game anywhere except for Oklahoma City, so I can’t say what other fans do and don’t do. But I have been to plenty of football and basketball games across the country. Not all fans support their players who are having a rough spot. Oklahoma City does.
It may sound sentimental, but last night was really special. Oklahoma City believes in you, Russell Westbrook, and we believe in the Thunder. Thanks to all the players who believe in this town.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3712OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3641Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3479How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients