Oklahoma’s green cemetery
A few weeks ago I wrote a story about a man in Payne County who’s opening the first green cemetery in Oklahoma. Here’s the first little bit:
STILLWATER — Bill Bernhardt doesn’t want to be buried in his cemetery, but he knows other people will.
He’s opening a cemetery in western Payne County where the dead can be buried without embalming, coffins or headstones. The three acres of grassland will be Oklahoma’s first green cemetery.
“It won’t be cluttered up with monuments and markers,” he said. “It will just be a meadow with prairie flowers.”
Here are a few photos of the cemetery in October. Bernhardt said he hopes the finished product will pretty much look the same.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4654Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4299Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4082'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients