Need to read? Good holiday books for children
Here’s some great information from Reach Out and Read Oklahoma, a program of Smart Start Central Oklahoma, about reading to your kiddos during the holidays:
Reach Out and Read Oklahoma, part of a nationwide school readiness program, is encouraging parents to read holiday books to their young children this time of year. The organization has put together a list of the best seasonal books for children, including books about Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.
“The holidays are the perfect time for families to come together and read,” said Steve Davis, director of Reach Out and Read Oklahoma. “Spending quality time together through reading every day can help stimulate a child’s development, prepare them for learning in the classroom and lead to success later in life.”
Reach Out and Read targets children who are at greatest risk for school failure and illiteracy and provides them with high-quality children’s books and their parents with reading tips and guidance on the importance of reading aloud. Fourteen research studies confirm that Reach Out and Read works – families served by the program read together more often, and their children enter kindergarten better prepared to succeed, with larger vocabularies, stronger language skills, and a six-month developmental age over their peers. Reach Out and Read is a program of Smart Start Central Oklahoma.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101883Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13737Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10731Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9553OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8470Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7788How to help tornado victims
- 7217Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7121Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 6843Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 5845Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients