Walking with a suspected killer
As a photographer for The Oklahoman, I get to see a number of things that I would most likely never have the opportunity to experience if my career was not spent behind a camera. Every day for the most part is something different. Some assignments are good. Others great. And then, there are the ones that you just cannot believe are taking place. Over the last few days I have spent some time in El Reno, Okla., taking part in one of those unthinkable assignments.
A family photo of the five homicide victims, Autumn Rust, 7, Kirsten Rust, 7, Evynn Garas, 3, Teagin Rust, 5, and their mother Summer Rust who were killed on Monday at the Elizabeth Place Apartment Homes, in El Reno, Okla. Also pictured is Jason Garas, Summer Rust’s ex-husband and Evynn’s father.
On Monday, I got the call to go out to the Elizabeth Apartments in El Reno where the bodies of Summer Rust, 25, and her four children, Kirsten Rust, 7, Autumn Rust, 7, Teagin Rust, 5, and Evynn Garas, 3, were found dead. That day, like with most tragic situations I cover, was hectic. I tried to track down details and information from anyone who might know what happened and was willing to talk. There are always a number of unanswered questions, due to the lack of information being released, but by the ended of the day, fortunately and unfortunately, I end up knowing a lot of details of the situation I am covering.
Police investigate a crime scene where an adult and four young children were found dead in an apartment at the Elizabeth Place Apartment Homes Monday, Jan. 12, 2009, in El Reno, Okla. BY CHRIS LANDSBERGER, THE OKLAHOMAN
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 5747Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 5482Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5176Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients