Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Staff photographers Jim Beckel, Paul Hellstern and David McDaniel covered the Martin Luther King Jr. Day activities in the metro area. Jim Beckel said that the positive energy at the parade in Oklahoma City was as high as he has ever been around, no doubt due to the holiday’s proximity to the inauguration of Barack Obama as our 44th President of the United States.
Here’s a selection of their work.
To see a gallery of more photos from Martin Luther King Jr. Day, click here.
Barry Braxton holds a sign and American flags near the replica of the Liberty Bell outside the Oklahoma History Center during a bell ringing ceremony with Lt. Gov. Jari Askins and about a dozen children as part of local observances of Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Oklahoma City, Monday morning, Jan. 19, 2009. BY JIM BECKEL, THE OKLAHOMAN
Dennis Lewis and his nieces Paula Jones, 8, and Nesha Henderson, 9, march in the Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade in Oklahoma City, Monday, January 19, 2009. BY DAVID MCDANIEL, THE OKLAHOMAN
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 54680Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 35701Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32594Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8907Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 8388Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 5554Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4146OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3664George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3376Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3309Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients