The Boys from the South
There’s not a trophy case in the halls at Santa Fe South High School. After the boys soccer team won their first state title last weekend, Principal Chris Brewster set the trophy on a table inside the main entrance. He said that after awhile trophies from other events were dug out of teacher’s closets and desks, so they added another table to accommodate all the hardware.
Santa Fe South, a charter school in the Oklahoma City Public School system, had won several runner up awards in cross-country and soccer, but according to head coach Wes Furley, the Saints’ state championship win over Cascia Hall on Saturday became the first state championship in soccer ever won by an Oklahoma City public school.
A few years ago I worked with Jenni Carlson on a feature story about the school and their new soccer program. I talked with principal Chris Brewster before Tuesday’s pep rally. He pointed to the framed copy of the paper featuring the story in his office. He told me that students, parents and teachers at the school are still talking about the story and the slideshow. He said people will stand in his office and read the article. It seems that we rarely get positive feedback, so it really brightened my day to hear that a slideshow I shot nearly three years ago is still resonating with people.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients