Long Day at the Ball Park
Yesterday I had the assignment to cover the last two evening session games of the four game set in the Big 12 Baseball Championship at Bricktown Ballpark. It looked as though it was going to be a great day to cover some baseball, but Mother Nature had other thoughts. The first game that started at 4pm between Baylor and Kansas State lasted all of an inning and a half before the rain decided to make an appearance and stay awhile. After about a three hour rain delay, and chasing around weather features, the Bears and the Wildcats went back into action to finish their game under the full moon.
The second game between OU and Kansas was to start at 7:30 now was pushed back to a start time of about 10:35 pm. Since my deadline to get photos back to the paper was 10:45 pm, I have just enough time to shoot OU’s starting pitcher at the top of the inning and their first few at bat in the bottom of the inning before I had to start sending photos back.
I went back out to the field when I was done transmitting to try and get some much needed ‘better’ photos. Which did not go so well. For a fan, the game was great KU had a no hitter going to the 5th inning, and the 1-0 lead over the Sooners, but for a photographer who is in need of some action photographs it was not what I was looking for in a late game. I kept telling myself the next inning will be better, the next inning will be better, and the next thing you know it was the bottom of the 9th inning at 1:15 am with KU holding onto a 2-1 lead. Then karma decided to pay it forward for me since I had done my time for the day when the Sooners hit a two run shot to win the game 3-2. Photos of the Sooners’ celebration made it well worth the wait to finally get to bed at 3am.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17897Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15383Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11506Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11200'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10732Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9276OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8256Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6910Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6624Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6479Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients