Grand slam dreams
Every little girl who plays softball dreams of the day when she will hit a grand-slam home run to give her team a win.
On Sunday this dream became a reality for Florida Gator Ali Gardiner.
Gardiner walked up to the plate in the bottom of the 7th as the Gators trailed Alabama by 3. With two outs and the bases loaded, Gardiner, who was 0-for-9 in the WCWS, hit the 2-1 pitch just beyond the fence in left field, propelling the Gators into the championship round.
After shooting one of the longest softball games of my life (the previous game between Georgia and Washington went for more than four hours), Gardiner’s heroics were a nice highlight. College softball rarely produces high scores. On Sunday, I saw 28 runs in just two games including 2 grand slams. This year’s WCWS has produced a record 24 home runs setting a new single tournament record. Sunday’s 7,000 plus fans got their money’s worth.
After six-plus hours standing in burning sun on Sunday, I was pretty miserable. But after editing the pictures of Gardiner being dog piled by her teammates, I knew it was worth the pain.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients