Since 2001, I’ve photographed many deployment ceremonies and even more homecoming ceremonies for US Army and National Guard Soldiers. Last week I photographed a homecoming from a different point of view.
Members of The Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 751 have been at every deployment and return since Sept. 11, 2001. They arrive early and get seats near the band. They watch the return ceremony with family members and current soldiers. Afterward, veterans like J.C. Humphries and Norm Windsor make their way through the crowd and greet as many soldiers as they can. As you can hear in the slideshow, or read in Ron’s story, the Vietnam Veterans hope they are giving today’s soldiers the welcome home that they never had.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2099Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 1489Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 1234Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients