Frog and Turtles races
A move to Dallas has not kept Lisa Cochell and her family from their tradition of attending Camp DaKaNi in Oklahoma City. Cochell starting attending the camp in 1973. Her little brother and sister joined soon after.
She now spends her summer vacations at the camp with her son, nieces and nephews. They have been attending since 1997.
The turtle and frog races have always been a favorite highlight at the camp.
“I love watching their faces. They are all so excited. I had a little camper today, she gave her turtle to the office because we had two turtles in the same category and her turtle won second. Even though it wasn’t for our group, she was like ‘My turtle won second’ and that is the best feeling. That is why I take my vacations to do this, ” Cochell said.
The night before the races, Cochell and several of the others counselor catch frogs on the pond at Camp DaKaNi. It is an activity they have done for several years.
“My son is great at catching frogs and it is because he has been doing it since he was four years old,” she said.
Click play to see all frog racing photos and to hear audio from the race.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients