I root for good pictures.
I’m often asked when photographing sports who I’m rooting for. I always give the same selfish answer, “I’m rooting for good pictures.” It’s nice to see the local teams I cover do well because it’s good for our community and our business here at The Oklahoman and NewsOK, but what I really want are exciting plays that make compelling pictures.
Last night’s game between the Oklahoma City Thunder and Dallas Mavericks put me through the typical thought process I have during a close game that would probably seem completely foreign to most sports fans. With 1.4 seconds left, Vince Carter hit shot to give the Mavericks the lead. At this point, things looked grim for the Thunder and fans were probably not feeling too great about the team’s chances, but I felt good because I had a nice shot of the Mavericks celebrating. If the Thunder go on to lose, I’ve made a compelling picture of the key moment of the game. If Oklahoma City pulls out a win, I’ve got a chance for more exciting photos.
Kevin Durant’s buzzer beater made the above photograph worthless for the next day’s paper, but provided some nice reaction too.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16150OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14605Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10995Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9399Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 9121'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 8921Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7695Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7584Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7477Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7078Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients