Movie review: 'Sound City'
Dave Grohl's film documents the recording studio “Sound City,” a ratty old recording studio where some of the greatest rock records ever made were cut from the 1970s through the '90s.
You almost need to see Dave Grohl's documentary “Sound City,” screening this weekend at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, with headphones on. That's the best way to pick up the nuances the legions of legendary musicians are talking about in this ratty old recording studio where some of the greatest rock records ever made were cut from the 1970s through the '90s.
NewsOK Related Articles
When Grohl, drummer with Nirvana and later Foo Fighters frontman, and other drummers such as Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac) talk about the presence, the unique sound that drums carried out of this dump of a studio in Van Nuys, Calif., headphones are the best way to sample that difference, that analog “oomph” that Sound City gave them.
And as Fleetwood, Grohl and the others — from Tom Petty and Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon) to Rick Springfield and Neil Young — will tell you, if you get the drums right, the rest just falls into place.
Sound City was the home to “luck and magic,” super-producer Rick Rubin says. “You can't control that.”
Grohl's entertaining and heavily musical film tears through decades of memorable bands and classic albums. Grohl got easy access to them all for a variety of reasons, not least of which was his ownership of the mixing console that was once Sound City's claim to fame. These guys, from John Fogerty to Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks to Cheap Trick, Ratt, Dio and Metallica, would love another crack at that magical mixer.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims