Thomas Jefferson said it best
I'm concerned about some of our rights being taken away. One right in particular — the right to bear arms — is supposed to be protected by the Second Amendment. The protection was included because of our Founders' historical understanding and their recent fight for freedom.
NewsOK Related Articles
Our Founding Fathers didn't just give us the liberty to own a weapon for hunting or sporting events, but to protect ourselves from a government that seeks to pick away at our rights as free citizens. The government shouldn't be able to take away our guns that they're also able to use against us. Thomas Jefferson said, “The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” These words should be held close to every American. The statement shows that banning guns is the beginning of incrementally taking away our rights and rendering us less of a republic.
It's been proven throughout history that registration leads to confiscation, and confiscation leads to governmental oppression and tyranny.
Logan William Renner, Luther
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad