Class 3A girls basketball: Teanna Reid leads Millwood to 54-47 win over Verdigris
Millwood coach Arnelia Spears could only watch and pray when senior guard Teanna Reid fell to the floor and didn’t get up following a layup late in the Lady Falcons 54-47 win over Verdigris Thursday.
Photoview all 71 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Reid, who wears a brace on her knee after tearing an ACL last summer, had to be carried off the court.
“She scared me to death,” Spears said.
Fortunately for Spears and Millwood, Reid had taken a knee in the mid-section and didn’t reinjure her knee.
She returned to the game 1:12 later and finished with a game-high 22 points for the third-ranked and defending state champion Lady Falcons.
“She is the spark plug of the team,” Spears said. “She played well but I think she can play even better.”
Because of Reid’s 14 first half points, Millwood built a 13-point first half lead, but Verdigris responded with an 8-0 to close out the second quarter as the Lady Falcons led 27-22 at halftime.
“I wasn’t happy with some of our shot selection,” Spears said. “That’s why we lost that 13-point lead.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena