At a glance
Chesapeake Energy Corp.'s
real estate timeline
1989: Aubrey McClendon and Tom Ward start Chesapeake Energy. They pay $240,000 for a single 6,000-square-foot office building in 1989 at the office park known as “Three Chopt Square,” 6200 N Western Ave. Over the next few years the company buys the entire office park for its headquarters.
1997: Chesapeake Energy buys adjacent land for expansion.
2000: Chesapeake Energy begins building new, Georgian style brick buildings as it continues headquarters expansion.
Early 2000s: Chesapeake Energy begins buying nearby office and warehouse properties.
2005: Chesapeake Energy and its affiliates begin to buy retail properties, including Glenbook Centre, 1140 NW 63, for $8.5 million.
2006: Chesapeake Energy buys Nichols Hills Plaza for $27.5 million. When asked about talk of Nichols Hills Plaza being turned into “another Utica Square” — the popular Tulsa retail-restaurant center — Executive Vice President Tom Price Jr. responds Chesapeake is an oil and gas company, first and foremost, and not a real estate developer. That same year the company buys Metro Center, 6418 N Western, a retail and office complex home to the upscale Metro restaurant, for $1.85 million.
Open, Read any PDF File, Create, Edit your PDFs. ( Highly Recommended )