Weathering the storms: For some Oklahomans, tornadoes are personal
Oklahomans Sue Marts Alexander and Miranda Lewis never have met, but they share a respect for tornadoes.
Oklahomans Sue Marts Alexander and Miranda Lewis never have met.
Nevertheless, they respect tornado warnings more than most people, partially because of a child and a bed.
In Alexander’s case, she was the child. About 8:40 p.m. April 9, 1947, a tornado struck Woodward, killing 107 in the city of 5,500. Lives also were claimed in other communities that...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims