SXSW 2013 Dispatch #1: Made it!
Carney here reporting from Austin for SXSW 2013, where literally every scruffy, sweaty, well-dressed dude with a guitar case on the planet has recently immigrated. I snuck into town last night just in time to grab my press credential and mosey over to the Buffalo Lounge where I caught the last four sets for the evening, dodging everybody handing out flyers or talking loudly about “social branding”.
I’m down here with my camera so I’ll be posting photos to Staticblog periodically throughout the week, along with short snippets of what I see, hear, and smell (I promise to go easy on the description of latter one near the end of the week). For now, here’s a few quick observations from last night and this morning, both of which flew by in a kind of whirl:
- The Buffalo Lounge’s new venue, The 518, looked to be populated by a lot of curious listeners and not just Oklahomans last night, which is a good sign. A bunch of photographers showed up for Stardeath’s 1 a.m. set, in particular.
- I think I’m going to start a tally of 12-year-old-looking people wearing Odd Future T-shirts. Current tally: stands at about 7.
- I’m about 175% certain that David Fricke just walked past the table in the convention center where I’m writing this so you guys should be proud of me for not jumping up and hugging him and basically acting the way a teenage girl does when Justin Bieber is around.
- Some bro’s attempt to start a “Boomer Sooner” chant in between sets last night went unanswered. It seems the Buffalo Lounge is impartial to your silly college rivalries.
Last night’s showcase at the Buffalo Lounge sounded really terrific and I wish I had more and better words for it but I’ve got a headache from sleeping for six hours on a floor last night and why try to explain it to you when I can just show these pictures:
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients