Oklahoma City church is using giftcards to fuel giving
Oklahoma City's Faith Church, led by the Rev. Terry Bates, is observing March by giving away $5,000 in fuel gift cards during the month.
An Oklahoma City church is observing a different type of contest this basketball season.
March is typically associated with a bevy of basketball tournaments, but Faith Church is using it to give away $5,000 in fuel gift cards.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Our people could have said ‘keep this a secret — we have a better chance of winning ourselves,' but they didn't do that. They said it's OK because they were getting so much joy watching others win.”
The Rev. Terry Bates,
The Rev. Terry Bates, the church's senior pastor, said a church member who wishes to remain anonymous gave the church, 800 S Portland, the funds to randomly distribute fuel gift cards in increments of $100 to $250. Bates, 53, said the church is giving away several of the cards at each of its Sunday services.
He said church leaders were aware that many people were negatively affected by the increase in payroll taxes at the beginning of the year. Bates said the tax increase came about the same time that fuel prices began to rise so the fuel gift cards are the church's way to help community residents offset these challenges.
Bates said the congregation has embraced the contest and have been inviting their friends and neighbors to church for an opportunity to win one of the cards in random drawings. He said he teased church members that they were reducing their chances of winning when they told other people about the giveaway.
“Our people could have said ‘keep this a secret — we have a better chance of winning ourselves,' but they didn't do that,” the preacher said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments