Despite limited recognition, the Mountain West Conference is one of the deepest in all of college basketball.
Five squads from the MWC made it into the NCAA Tournament field this season, more than the SEC and ACC and the same as the Big 12 and Pac-12.
San Diego State, OU's opening opponent, is among those five. Here's what you need to know about the team and school:
* Opponent: San Diego State
* Record: 22-10 overall, 9-7 MWC
* Seed: 7
* Conference: Mountain West Conference
* League finish: 4th
* NCAA berth: At-Large
* RPI rank: 30
* Star player: Jamaal Franklin
The high-flying 6-foot-5 guard does it all for San Diego State, leading the team in points (16.7), rebounds (9.5) and assists (3.2) per game. He has a 40-inch vertical.
* Coach: Steve Fisher (14th season at SDSU, 280-170 record)
* NCAA Tournament history: Been eight times, including the past three years, with an overall record of 2-8.
* Last NCAA game: Lost, 79-65 to NC State in the 2012 Second Round
* Best NCAA run: 2011 – As a 2-seed, reached the Sweet 16 with wins over Northern Colorado and Temple, before losing to Connecticut
* Location: San Diego
* Enrollment: 31,303
* Best all-time player: Kawhi Leonard, starred at SDSU from 2009-2011, currently plays for the San Antonio Spurs
* Best non-basketball alum: Tony Gwynn, Hall of Fame baseball player and current manager of the Aztecs baseball team
* History: OU is 3-0 all-time against SDSU
Sign up to make your picks! You could win $1,000,000 in NewsOK's March Mayhem contest.