NCAA Tournament: Bracket breakdown — South Regional
Here is our analysis of the South Regional of the men's NCAA Tournament
Some argue the Midwest is a tougher region, but the South has five viable Final Four teams. Offensively-challenged Kansas will be vulnerable from the second round on but their suffocating defense (opponents shoot 35.8 percent) can produce another trip to the Final Four. The Hoyas are one of the nation's top defensive teams, but like Kansas, Georgetown sometimes has problems scoring. Florida is a sleeper national title contender. The Gators are one of the nation's best shooting teams (48.4 pct.) and have a stout defense (opponents shoot 37.3 pct.), a potent combination. Michigan has a ton of talent but is young. Bolstered by swarming, talented guard play, Virginia Commonwealth is more talented than its Final Four team.
Videoview all videos
Mar 17Oklahoma reacts to returning to the Big Dance for the...
Mar 17Oklahoma State is a No. 5 seed in the Midwest Regional....
Photoview all 8 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Minnesota over UCLA: The Gophers slumped down the stretch, going 2-7 but one of those wins was against Indiana. Minnesota has underachieved but can dominate the boards. The Gophers were a respectable 5-5 against top 25 teams, including wins over Indiana, Michigan State and Wisconsin. UCLA is vulnerable without guard Jordan Adams, who suffered a season-ending broken foot in the Pac 12 tournament.
1 Kansas vs. 16 Western Kentucky: Senior C Jeff Withey and possible No. 1 overall draft pick Ben McLemore should cruise past the Hilltopers (20-15), a surprise Sun Belt tournament winner.
8 North Carolina vs. 9 Villanova: Roy Williams has a shot to face his former team (Kansas) but Tarheels (24-10) must first get past hot-and-cold Wildcats, who beat Louisville, Georgetown and Syracuse.
5 Va. Commonwealth vs. 12 Akron: The guard oriented Rams could make another extended run and should get past the Mid-America champions, who slumped down the stretch.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister