OU basketball: Sooners coach Lon Kruger quite familiar with first-round opponent San Diego State
OKLAHOMA BASKETBALL — Sooners coach Lon Kruger faced San Diego State, OU's first-round opponent, every year while he was the coach at UNLV.
NORMAN — For the first time in three seasons, Oklahoma is going dancing.
And the Sooners' dance partner, No. 7 seed San Diego State (22-10, 9-7) is quite familiar to Sooners' coach Lon Kruger.
Videoview all videos
Mar 17Oklahoma reacts to returning to the Big Dance for the...
Mar 17Oklahoma State is a No. 5 seed in the Midwest Regional....
Photoview all 8 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Kruger faced SDSU seven straight years while he was at the helm of UNLV, where he coached from 2004-2011, before joining the Sooners.
“San Diego State is a tough team,” Kruger said. “Steve Fisher does a great job. We battled him a lot of years at UNLV. He's got a very talented, athletic basketball team.”
Kruger's Running Rebels compiled a 5-13 record against the Aztecs. In three seasons, Kruger's team lost three different times to SDSU — twice in the regular season and once in the league tournament.
Kruger's last meeting against Fisher came a little over two years ago. UNLV lost 74-72 in the second round of the Mountain West Conference tournament. The loss marked their third of the 2010-11 season to the Aztecs.
But OU's coach was firm on his stance that his experience “won't make a big difference.”
“I didn't see them play that much this year,” he said. “I know they're very talented, very athletic. Steve Fisher does a terrific job. As far as knowing exactly about this team, we'll learn more the next couple days watching film.”
The Sooners' players didn't know much about the Aztecs either.
They didn't know junior guard Jamaal Franklin earned first-team All-Mountain West honors, that the Aztecs (after losing their season opener to then No. 9 Syracuse) went on an 11-game winning streak to open the season, that they recently lost to New Mexico in the semifinals of the league tournament or that SDSU's RPI and strength-of-schedule are better than OU's.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates