Random 10 for Nov. 27, 2007
1. Guillemots, “Never Went to Church.” A beautifully lugubrious cover of the Streets song, rendered as saddo pop by the musical progeny of those great mid-’80s British artists (Roddy Frame and Paddy McAloon, to name two leaders of two bands I mentioned yesterday — forgive me, I’m on a kick) who never really got their historical due because The Smiths’ “The Queen is Dead” overshadowed them all. (Lang takes a breath, cues the saddoes)
2. Camera Obscura, “Books Written for Girls.”
3. CSS, “Music is My Hot, Hot Sex.”
4. Ben Folds, “All You Can Eat.”
5. Ween, “Your Party.” Many people have imitated David Bowie for fun and profit, but this might be the most perfectly rendered spoof on record. This is the Bowie of “Young Americans,” getting his soul on, except Gene Ween is singing about tri-colored pasta and meat with “succulent juices.” What seals the deal here is the presence of David Sanborn, the sax man from “Young Americans,” bringing the mellow gold. Or brass. By the way, what does a blessing mean when it comes from Father Harvey?
6. New Young Pony Club, “Ice Cream.”
7. Jenny Lewis, “Melt Your Heart.”
8. Office, “The Big Bang Jump!”
9. Sonny Rollins, “St. Thomas.”
10. Jay-Z, “Roc Boys.” Sean Carter’s corollary to Ridley Scott’s “American Gangster” might not be a masterpiece on the level of “The Blueprint,” but it’s a nice corrective following the abysmal “Kingdom Come.” This is the hottest track on the disc, thanks to some killer live horns. And it’s tough on the mean streets of Anguilla.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients