Random 10 for Jan. 2, 2008
1. The Flaming Lips, “Free Radicals.” Believe it or not, I’m not screwing with the randomness of the list today — this is what came up when I powered up Podsie this morning. The New Years Eve concert at Cox Center was pretty extraordinary, even for those of us who were at the Zoo in 2006. It might suffer from comparison, but only because I don’t think there was the uniformity of adoration in the audience — a lot of people were there because it was the biggest thing going around Opening Night. Also, the arena was a sweatbox — the heat must have been turned up around 85 in there — which might have been causing people to fall asleep or pass out. But Wayne (shown that night in the above photo by The Oklahoman’s Matt Strasen) was in top form, and when he played ”Taps” using a Ceremonial Bugle — an electronic bugle used at military funerals when musicians are unavailable — to lead into “Waiting For a Superman,” the Flaming Lips achieved a certain magic that no amount of lasers and balloons could match.
2. Led Zeppelin, “All My Love.”
3. Hot Chip, “Down With Prince.”
4. Blonde Redhead, “Misery is a Butterfly.”
5. Liquid Liquid, “Cavern.” This song by an early ’80s New York art-funk band led by vocalist-percussionist Salvatore Principato provided the musical template for Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five’s “White Lines.” Fun, baby.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7387Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6419Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6218UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients