Random 10 for Jan. 15, 2008
2. Ween, “Where’d the Cheese Go?” This is a 29-second jingle that Deaner and Gener created for Pizza Hut in 2002, and naturally, the multinational flat food purveyor gave our boys the bum’s rush. In a 2003 statement, Ween said it “is one of the best tunes we wrote all last year,” and it truly is a track that you want to loop about four times just to get some mileage out of the groove. True to form, after getting sliced by Pizza Hut, Ween made a funnier and decidedly more explicit version, just so you know where they stand.
3. Sonic Youth, “Incinerate.”
4. Common, “The People.”
5. Club 8, “Heaven.” Ultra-brite summer pop from the Swedish duo Johan Angergard (Acid House Kings) and Karolina Komstedt, included on the duo’s first disc in five years, The Boy Who Couldn’t Stop Dreaming. Songwriting and production have improved considerably since 2002′s Strangely Beautiful, which was already pretty great, but “Heaven” is more organic — Club 8 sounds truly flesh and bone here instead of the sexy robots we heard before.
6. The High Violets, “Cool Green.”
7. My Latest Novel, “Sister Sneaker Sister Soul.”
8. Jay-Z feat. Bilal, “Fallin’.”
9. Led Zeppelin, “The Song Remains the Same.” If I can scrounge the time, I’m going to do a track-by-track assessment of Mothership, the new collection of remastered Zeppelin that came out just in time for stocking stuffing last year. It’s nice to hear this music with some dynamic range now instead of those flat, straight-from-tape digital versions that were dumped into stores 20 years ago.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients