Random 10 for Jan. 21, 2008
1. Jay-Z + Danger Mouse + Beatles, “Encore.” This is probably a tie with “Change Clothes” for the most astonishing recontextualization (or mash-up, if you like) of The Grey Album. The irony is that it took “Savoy Truffle” by a quartet of pasty Scouse boys to give Sean Carter’s track real soul.
2. David Holmes, “Lifting the Building.”
3. The Jam, “Eton Rifles.”
4. Stars, “Ageless Beauty.”
5. Ratatat, “Wildcat.” As near as I can tell, what is happening here is the confluence of Daft Punk roboticism with wanky ’70s guitar heroics. This alone would makes it absolutely amazing, but then the recurring sample of a tiger or some other jungle cat pushes it into absolutely amazing hilarity.
6. Radar Bros., “Papillon.”
7. Ashby, “Horizon.”
8. Pulp, “Common People.”
9. Bebel Gilberto, “Tanto Tempo.” Languid, sensual tropicalia from Joao Gilberto’s daughter. Her latest disc, 2007′s Momento, includes a collaboration with the Brazilian Girls, who are not Brazilian and only one is a girl. Discuss.
10. April March, “Laisse Tomber Le Filles.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients