Random 10 for Feb. 18, 2008
1. MGMT, “Electric Feel.” These gentlemen are currently touring Europe and have yet to schedule any domestic shows beyond Coachella, but I’m hoping that will change soon. “Electric Feel” is a personal fave rave right now, a raging slab of groovalicious psychedelic disco that, as I mentioned in my recent review, sounds a hell of a lot like one of Quincy Jones’ late-’70s productions for the Brothers Johnson (“Stomp,” “I’ll Be Good to You”), my favorite sophista-funk band of that period, except Dave Fridmann makes it all sound like someone spiked the drinks at Studio 54 with mescaline. Watch one version of MGMT’s interactive video for the song here. Be careful — the song is addictive.
2. Tim Finn, “Subway Dreaming.”
3. The Go! Team, “Ladyflash.”
4. The Starlight Mints, “Torts.”
5. Jay Ferguson, “Thunder Island.” Staticblog friend Chase and I talk about this one frequently as a kind of running joke — a relic from the halcyon days of yacht rock that was quite literally about hairy ’70s sex in vague tropical locales. It sounds like an uncleaned room at the Hotel California thanks in large part to Joe Walsh’s slide guitar, a noise that connotes Laurel Canyon decadence like almost nothing else. Ferguson went on to do soundtrack work, and these days, you hear him every week performing the theme to “The Office,” a piece of music that definitely does not inspire images of doing tequila body shots with Linda Ronstadt, Stevie Nicks and Joni Mitchell in 1977. Watch this clip of Ferguson in all his silk-scarfed freaky glory, and recoil in horror.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7545Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7311Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6526UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients