Music Review: LCD Soundsystem, “45:33″ (DFA) * * * *
LCD Soundsystem’s “45:33” was commissioned by Apple and Nike as part of the companies’ “Nike + iPod” jogging utility system, but LCD’s James Murphy used it as an opportunity to stretch out and create an exhilarating long-form dance-rock composition. Previously available only on iTunes, “45:33” now comes bundled in compact disc form, complete with some superbly funky bonus tracks and remixes tacked on for post-jogging dance explosions.
A seamless composition broken into six movements for disc-scanning purposes, the music on “45:33” resembles the African “high life” period of Talking Heads and Brian Eno — the treated vocals and propulsive percussion evoke the Heads’ 1980 classic, “Remain in Light.” Fans of this year’s “Sound of Silver” will recognize elements of “Someone Great” and “Get Innocuous” floating through “45:33,” long before they were fleshed out into full, stand-alone songs, but they fit perfectly with Murphy’s tribal flow.
The special bonus is “Freak Out/Starry Eyes,” a new and low-slung funk burner that segues into a Can-like electro-pulse. “Hippie Priest Bum-Out” and a remix of “North American Scum” appeared previously on an EP, but these tracks mesh well with the epic churn of “45:33.” This is high-level dance music, something exceedingly rare these days, and beyond its obvious superiority to 95 percent of current club fodder, “45:33” has got a nice beat and you can jog to it.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 31709Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 22246Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7126OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6322Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5037OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4484Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3553Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3509Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3313Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3242Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients