Random 10 for Dec. 31, 2007
It’s been a great year, and I’m enjoying being in full blogging mode again after my months in the wilderness. Hope everyone has a great time tonight, and if you’re watching Wayne Coyne roll around in his gerbil ball at the Cox Center, look for me in the nosebleed section.
1. Public Enemy, “Don’t Believe the Hype.”
2. Dizzee Rascal feat. Lily Allen, “Wanna Be.” From Dizzee’s Maths + English, which got scant attention here in 2007, meaning the general public never got to hear this absolutely monster track featuring Staticblog’s favorite. This is every bit as good as anything on Alright, Still — granted, Dizzee’s got the lead, but Lil’s got the chorus, and the reggae dub beat is pure Alright. Despite her eggo being preggo, we’re allegedly going to be getting a rash of new music from Ms. Allen in new year. More, please.
Hey look — I didn’t post a photo of Lily Allen! Hey look — The ground is opening up and swallowing me whole!
3. Georgie James, “Need Your Needs.”
4. Devo, “Speed Racer.”
5. Cat Power, “Hate.”
6. Destroyer, “Painter in Your Pocket.”
7. Pleasure, “Out of Love.” British electro from a synth main man named Fred Ball. Featuring vocals from former Gus Gus singer Heidrun Bjornsdottir, “Out of Love” is almost too sugary for its own good — it nearly sounds like Japanese pop music from the ’80s. All that’s needed is a video starring Hello Kitty, and the illusion is complete.
8. Voxtrot, “Trouble.”
9. Busdriver, “Pompous Posies! Your Party’s No Fun.”
10. Stereolab, “Miss Modular.” While Emperor Tomato Ketchup is the best Stereolab disc top to bottom, 1997′s “Miss Modular,” from Dots and Loops, is my favorite track by the band — Gane and Sadier’s quintessential bachelor pad song if your pad is packed with Eames chairs. A new disc is due in early ’08, and while I’m not expecting massive sea changes from the band, they make great utility music if you have fantasies of driving a Citroen and being ungodly suave.
I’ll also see you in early ’08 — Wednesday, to be specific. Cheers, and Happy New Year,
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 64632Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14648Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8984Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7016Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6971How to help tornado victims
- 6471Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6275Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5865Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5834Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5724Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients