Random 10 for May 23, 2008
1. Ian Dury & the Blockheads, “Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick.” The late Ian Dury was truly one of the most beloved characters to come out of the pub rock/punk/new wave era, and for sheer lunacy, I highly recommend the song “Blockheads” as a tonic for clearing out cobwebs and excising frustration. As it is, “Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick” is pretty good for it, too, though I’ll be damned if I know what he’s talking about. I have my suspicions.
2. Art Brut, “Direct Hit.”
3. Dave Sardy feat. Liela Moss, “Giant.”
4. The Dirtbombs, “Indivisible.”
5. Coldplay, “Viva La Vida.” My favorite Chris Martin song since “The Scientist” in 2003, and it is the finest realization of the band’s sonic goals to date. Yes, I’m a big sucker for opulence. Once their flirtation with Brian Eno ends, Martin ought to have Wayne set them up with Dave Fridmann. Pardon the iTunes ad, but it’s all we’ve got so far, other than my curiously acquired song.
6. Air, “Radio #1.”
7. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan, “The False Husband.”
8. Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies, “When I Say Can you Dig It (You Say Yeah We Can).”
9. Ween, “Dr. Rock.”
10. Jill Cunniff, “Lazy Girls.” Her solo debut, City Beach, was not as thoroughly satisfying as it might have been if Gabby Glaser and Kate Schellenbach were still around to supply some rough edges, but “Lazy Girls” is a perfect summer song in the vein of “Ladyfingers.” Did I just write “in the vein of ‘Ladyfingers’”? It’s been a long week.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17917Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11872Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10569OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10552Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10275Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9958Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9874Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5389Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5156Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4651'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients