Random 10 for June 19, 2008
1. The Flaming Lips, “Can’t Get You Out of My Head.” This is the Flaming Lips’ cover of the early ’00s Kylie Minogue Eurobeat Daft Punk-y ultraexplosion, and with just a change in tone, Michael, Wayne, Steven and Kliph turned it into a paranoid stalker anthem a la “I Will Possess Your Heart” or “Every Breath You Take.” Here’s the original for your comparing pleasure:
2. Belle & Sebastian, “Photo Jenny.”
3. Ween, “I Can’t Put My Finger On It.”
4. Jay-Z, “Roc Boys.” Best track, bar none, on American Gangster, mainly because I’m a sucker for organic arrangements in hip-hop. Jay-Z himself described this as “black superhero music,” and he’s dead-on with it.
5. Blonde Redhead, “23.”
6. Lloyd Cole, “Margo’s Waltz.”
7. Dntel feat. Jenny Lewis, “Roll On.”
8. Miles Davis, “Deception.”
9. Scarlett Johannson, “I Don’t Want to Grow Up.”
10. Talking Heads, “Take Me To The River.” No question about it, Talking Heads did wonders with the Al Green classic. However, this extended live performance from the Heads’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is notable for its total lack of energy, with the exception of great Steve Cropper’s guitar work, a vocal assist from Sam Moore and the head-twister of it all, Marty Stuart sitting in. Byrne quite famously does not get along with his former bandmates — in fact, it’s a little like Sunnis and Shia between Byrne and Weymouth. Perhaps Byrne sucked at this just to disillusion the fans a bit and get them off his back.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients