Tournament in blue
I’ve been lucky enough to have covered Oklahoma teams in the NCAA Tournament for more than a decade.
And, when I think about the Tournament the first thing that comes to mind is not the crazy upsets I’ve covered, such as Kansas losing to both Bucknell and Northern Iowa, or the cities I’ve been able to visit.
No, I think of the color blue.
One area in which the NCAA excels is the consistency of the Tournament’s brand and feel at the games, especially in the work areas. Every site seems familiar because of the ubiquitous blue carpet and drapes, as well as NCAA-specific basketball floors at each arena.
It’s been this way since as long as I’ve been covering these games, except for the floors. Those were just starting to become consistent when I photographed my first few NCAA men’s basketball tourneys.
The blue mandate goes so far as to include drinking cups. If you take a beverage or some popcorn to press row, it has to be in a blue NCAA cup. This year’s cups are sponsored by Powerade. It was Dasani for a long time.
Here are some pics to give you a sense of what it looks like behind the scenes in Philadelphia where the Sooners will play tonight.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients