Random 10 for August 25, 2008
1. Kanye West feat. Adam Levine and Bernie Mac, “Heard ‘Em Say.” Featuring Bill Plympton animation is possibly the most extreme way for a mainstream hip-hop star to declare his independence. In typical MTV fashion — and this galls me since that network provided Plympton with his greatest forum, “Liquid Television” — the song was given short-shrift in rotation, possibly because of a recent ‘Ye rant, possibly because it was just too strange up against Akon’s then-latest Zapp ripoff. Bernie, R.I.P.
2. The Fratellis, “Henrietta.”
3. The Glands, “Breathe Out.”
4. Hot Chip, “One Pure Thought.” Made In the Dark featured considerably more dissonance than the previous two discs, but while I enjoyed “And I Was a Boy From School” and such, it was almost too club-mix-antiseptic. This, on the other hand begins with jangly guitars that sound lifted from the Black Kids album, then goes fully electro with another great pop melody from these odd ducks.
5. The Shins, “Black Wave.”
6. Ice Cube, “Steady Mobbin’.”
7. Paul Weller, “Song For Alice.”
8. Marvin Gaye, “I Want You.”
9. Public Enemy, “Night of the Living Baseheads.”
10. Gang of Four, “I Love a Man in Uniform.” Sharing the title (with Wire) of most important post-punk band of the late-70s and early ’80s, 1979′s Entertainment the template for early ’00s dance-punk. By 1982′s Songs of the Free, Jon King and Andy Gill were fully into the New Romantic phase, and while they looked and sounded a lot like most British pop at the time, their songs such as “Uniform” maintained a snide political message. As a bonus, some Yellow Magic Orchestra on the tail end of this clip.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients