Blago The Film Geek
When most people look at former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, they see corruption made flesh, unchecked power, bloated self-importance and the worst hair on a disgraced elected official since U.S. Rep. Jim Traficant of Ohio went to jail.
But I just see a man who has watched too many movies.
Blagojevich, who conducted at least 20 interviews on various TV programs last week instead of testifying during his impeachment trial, seems to have a spool of pop cultural ephemera at the ready whenever he needs to justify or explain his behavior or contextualize his treatment in the press. He compared himself variously to a Hollywood cowboy on his way to a hanging, various heroes in Frank Capra movies, and any number of great men whose lives have been portrayed in film, including Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and a few Biblical heroes.
And when asked who would play him in a movie, Blagojevich took it personally. “I wouldn’t mind playing myself,” he said. “I could probably use the job.”
I know this mentality all too well. I reference movie plotlines and quote scripts several times a day in my seminormal dealings with co-workers. I periodically have entire conversations with my best friend Phil Bacharach (who thanks the heavens every day that he is Gov. Brad Henry’s press secretary and not Blago’s) that consist entirely of lines from “Animal House.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients