Turning the Page
It just won’t be the Barenaked Ladies without Steven Page. BNL’s lead vocalist and chief songwriter is calling it quits with the band.
The news isn’t altogether surprising, given the roundly crummy time it has been for the 38-year-old Page, who was busted last year in a late-night cocaine bender with his girlfriend and another woman in upstate New York.
“These guys are my brothers,” Page said in a statement on the group’s web site. We’ve grown up together over the past 20 years. I love them and wish them all the best in the future.”
The web site statement continues:
“The band also wish Steven well in all of his endeavors. Ed Robertson says: ‘It’s the start of a new chapter for all of us. Here’s to the future!’”
Um, good luck with that, Ed, but color me skeptical. Robertson is no slouch as a songwriter, but Page’s quasi-falsetto vocal chops and brilliant lyrics were the soul of Barenaked Ladies.
Page says he will try his hand at a solo career and perhaps some theatrical writing. I wish the guy well. BNL’s stock has dimmed considerably since its heyday of such gems as Gordon and Stunt, but the Canadian-based group was still managing at least two or three superb tracks per disc.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7508Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7162Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6434UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients