Derek Trucks Talks About “Already Free” and Touring With Slowhand
Sometimes the best music gets captured on record when the people involved are playing more than they’re working, feeling good more than feeling driven. When Derek Trucks invited friends and family into his new home studio in Florida, the result was “Already Free,” a disc with the loose, natural sound that matches its title.
“You know, I think the whole feel of the record is really relaxed and inclusive,” said Trucks, who performs with his band Sunday at the Coca-Cola Bricktown Events Center, 425 E California. “You know, it is such a family record: everyone was around the whole time, the kids were in and out of the studio and it was all close friends. It was my wife (Susan Tedeschi) and her band, Doyle Bramhall, Warren (Haynes), Oteil (Burbridge). So it felt like a real communal thing, and you get that real sense on the record, that everyone wants to be there.”
“Already Free” often recalls the loose blues-rock feel of Eric Clapton’s solo debut, when the English blues guitar master discovered Oklahoma singer-songwriter J.J. Cale and started setting his watch by Tulsa time. It was recorded following a tour in which Trucks played guitar alongside Clapton and Bramhall, and the setlist was made up largely of songs from Clapton’s Derek & the Dominos disc, “Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.”
Trucks, who was named after Derek & the Dominos, was gratified to get the call to play with Clapton, who asked him to play on his collaboration with J.J. Cale, “The Road to Escondido,” which eventually led to the tour.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36528Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32802Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32453Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8406Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5462OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3890Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3494College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3313George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3240Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3193Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients