Random 10 for March 31, 2009
1. Fol Chen, “Cable TV.” Highland Park (Cali) quintet delivers bubble-synthy goodness about the joys of cheap hotels — “the carpet’s filthy, but the ice is free.” The video looks like what would happen if Jive/Zomba reduced Britney Spears’ video budget to one digicam and random Spandex. I think I just came up with a good band name.
2. TV On The Radio, “Hours.”
3. Portishead, “Deep Water.”
4. Siouxsie & The Banshees, “Cities in Dust.” The ultimate in doom. My chief memory of this song is driving around San Diego in July 1986, and 91X playing this track constantly for all the bummed out surfers. Not exactly beach music, unless your particular beach is situated on a coast of infinite misery and certain annihilation.
5. Apples in Stereo, “Beautiful Machine Parts 3-4.”
6. The Buzzcocks, “Boredom.”
7. Miles Davis, “Boplicity.”
8. British Sea Power, “Carrion.”
9. Ween, “Where’d the M———- Cheese Go At?”
10. Golden Silvers, “True Romance (True No. 9 Blues).” This is where the cheese went. I love the Dr. Fink-style keyboards, but seriously — between La Roux and this, I’m starting to think that the entirety of Great Britain has “Life On Mars”‘d itself into 1982.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7196Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6116Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6096Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients