Flaming Lips Denied Oklahoma Rock Song in House Vote, But Then ZAIREEKA!
A resolution in the state House to make the Flaming Lips’ “Do You Realize??” the official rock song for the state of Oklahoma was voted down today. House members voted 48-39 to approve, but did not have the requisite 51 votes to pass.
More to follow. But…
From the Governor’s Office:
Oklahoma City — Gov. Brad Henry will sign an executive order Tuesday, April 28, naming the Flaming Lips song, “Do You Realize??,” as the official rock song of Oklahoma.
In a statewide Internet vote held late last year, that song was the choice of 51 percent of more than 21,000 votes cast. Senate Joint Resolution 24 sought to codify that vote, but was narrowly defeated.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18441Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17118OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 13848Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11264Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 9500Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7869Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7538Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7363Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7128Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6380Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients