DVD Review: “The Education of Charlie Banks”
When reviewing “The Education of Charlie Banks,” it’s hard to avoid discussing this coming-of-age story as if one has just witnessed a badger reciting the Magna Carta — after all, this is the shockingly strong directorial debut by Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst. The rap-rock blusterer displays a sharp eye for period detail and narrative flow in this story about class consciousness and the ways of a sociopath.
Jesse Eisenberg (“Adventureland”) possesses a flair for playing young men like Charlie Banks, who is so awkward it actually endears him to the cool kids. The privileged Charlie has a complicated relationship with Mick (Jason Ritter), a brutal working-class punk who Charlie both fears and reveres. Mick sees Charlie as his entry into a better life, but the disruptive sparks in Mick’s mind wreak havoc on Charlie and his friends (Christopher Marquette, Eva Amurri), and Charlie’s decision to withhold key information about Mick allows a bad situation to spill over.
In his relaxed and thoughtful commentary with Ritter, Durst offers gracious appreciations of his actors’ work — it’s as if everything that came before in Bizkit’s “Nookie,” “Break Stuff” and “Rollin’” was just another performance. While his follow-up, “The Longshots,” was a predictable sports underdog film, “Charlie Banks” proves that Durst could soon have a significantly other future.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 87014Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 81959Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34908Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 32757Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 16053Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 13176Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 10447Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 8973Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 8697Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7832Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients