Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2010 Inductees Announced
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s 2010 inductees were announced today. LL Cool J, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, KISS, ABBA, Genesis, the Stooges, Jimmy Cliff, the Hollies, Donna Summer, Darlene Love, the Chantels and Laura Nyro all get the nod this year, and one of the Rock Hall’s greatest failings, the deficit of votes needed to get Iggy and the Stooges into the I.M. Pei pyramid once and for all, is finally corrected.
Of course, guitarist Ron Asheton died earlier this year, and in 2009 the Stooges narrowly missed induction, but it’s amazing how quickly death can push voters into action on these things. Honestly, it should not have taken this long — Iggy and the balance of the reunited band (which now includes Raw Power-era guitarist James Williamson) should not have to wait to be inducted in the same year as Anthony Kiedis and the Chili Peppers — there is no Antwan the Swan without Iggy. I’ll never understand how these things work, and for that matter, how is it that Darlene Love never received enough votes until now?
Okay, so enough carping. As I go down the list, my greatest hope is the obvious one: that the induction of Genesis results in that full-scale reunion that as rumored to be going down a few years ago: one in which Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett are on board. Who rightly cares if Collins, Rutherford and Banks get back together again? As recently as a November 2008 interview with Billboard, Tony Banks said that Hackett was on board — they just need that old facepainter to register a thumbs up and take a break from working on that alleged I/O album that has allegedly been gestating since the turn of the century.
And speaking of facepainters, KISS finally gets it, too. For a long time, Gene Simmons has said it does not matter (he made this point to me in an interview about seven years ago), but KISS has been deserving of this honor nearly as long as the Stooges. Overall, a good year — ABBA notwithstanding.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4180Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3718Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients